They came the day after Dan left for a business trip. Dan left his car at BWI so my parents could drive it home. After a very unfortunate mishap involving my dad running over his new mac notebook in his briefcase and then the breaks going out... they safely made it to Monrovia.
They spent the next day with old army friends in Virginia and then spent the next week and a half with us. We kept them very busy. Between helping watch the kids while I started with meetings and visits for my new calling, going to the temple, enjoying the Fall weather, picking apples and canning 8 jars of apples sauce, yummy pies to eat, going to the pumpkin patch with the kids, a White House tour, and a trip to upstate New York, the time flew by. And I didn't do the dishes once in those 2 weeks!
Picking Apples
White House Tour: My good friend, Cara Gilbert, now works for the man whose name shall not be spoken in this home. Okay, not really. She works for Harry Reed. Her connections of working at the White House got us a tour!!! Abby and Clara were too young to go but Jake and Tess loved getting out of school to go to the President's home with Grandma and Grandpa. I laughed when as we pulled out of our driveway Tess reminded Dan to "be nice to the president" if he saw him, something our neighbor Tara had told her to do! We left at 8am and made it just in time for our 10a.m. tour. Surprisingly as we walked through the east wing we were all filled with deep respect for those men who have served there. The decor was elegant and rich with history. Paintings of past presidents and wives, the green room where I could picture a huge Christmas tree in the middle, the china room, ect. The Secret Service agents in each room answered any questions and told us history from each room. My favorite part was seeing the fireplace where John Adams words were engraved. A letter was found that he had written to Abigail, part of which is now referred to as the White House Prayer: "I pray Heaven to bestow the best of Blessings on this House and all that shall hereafter inhabit it. May none but honest and wise Men ever rule under this roof." -John Adams, 1800
After our tour we met up with Cara and a sister missionary from NY, Cristy Meiners who has been working for MPR in D.C., for lunch. It was a really fun and perfect day. I felt well, the weather was beautiful, and I thoroughly enjoyed the company of my family and friends.
We kept our promise to the kids to go to a pumpkin patch, Gavers Farm is a favorite. We were one of about 3 families there and the kids had a blast!
The second Sunday mom and dad were here was the Primary Sacrament Program. Mom and Dad got up early and picked up Cara from Shady Grove Metro so she could join us for the day. I just have to say that Jacob, Tess, and Abby did such a great job. They had their parts memorized and courageously made me one proud Mama. I enjoyed sitting on the stage with my CTR5 kids, my class hasn't had a new teacher sustained yet, and sang with them.
Pumpkin Carving for FHE
Abby had us laughing...
I love Tess's pumpkin with braces!
Last morning with Grandma and Grandpa.
Thanks for coming out Mom and Dad.




No comments:
Post a Comment