It was a beautiful morning and the kids were ready for school with 15 minutes to spare so they headed out back to play while I fixed their lunches. I looked out the window and saw Abby being swung on the "spider" swing. The next time looked out the window I saw Abby and Clara being swung. Then in came Abby to tell me that Clara fell off the swing. I looked out the window, didn't hear anything but saw Clara down. I went running out there and heard he wailing as Tess was picking her up to bring her to me. I was more concerned with the evidence of her fall on her head then anything else. It was time to run out to the bus. So I held a crying Clara and got the kids on the bus. From what Abby told me: Jake started to make them twist on the swing and Clara doesn't like that so she let go and off she flew. I love our "spider" swing but its a bit dangerous for a 2 year old especially with a 10 year old brother who likes to push high and spin way to fast!
After 15 minutes of inconsolable crying I started to examine her more to see what else was hurting her. She said her arm hurt and I noticed her right wrist was starting to swell. After 30 minutes of crying and clinging to me I called the doctor. I talked to a very kind nurse who told me to give her Motrin, to continue to elevate and ice it and she set up an appointment for me later that morning. I cancelled all my appointments and changed my plan for the day. Once the Motrin kicked in Clara seemed fine again, minus a little coddling of her right wrist. When Dr. Burns examined her Clara was bouncing off the walls, using her arm, and seemed fine. She even successfully completed the hand-flip test (checking the wrist, palms out and flipping the hand over) I was given an x-ray scrip and was told to watch her and take her for an x-ray if I thought she needed it. Since I didn't see it happen or know how she landed it was hard to know. The doctor told me that young kids break their bones so easily especially at their wrists when the fall and take the full impact on them.
The rest of that day she was happy and energetic but would hold her right arm to her stomach and didn't use it to drink or eat. I gave her Motrin to sleep and she did fine through the night. In the morning she was still coddling her arm and wouldn't do the hand-flip test that she did at the doctor office. So, I called insurance to be sure I knew what my bill would be and then took her to get an x-ray.
Sure enough, she broke two bones right at her wrist. The x-ray technicians adored Clara. She told me from what she saw that she thought I'd get a call within an hour with instructions to see a pediatric orthopedist and gave me the film to take with me. Within 15 minutes I got a call saying it was indeed broken and to make an appointment to get a cast put on. My Peds office were so great and helpful! They made the appointment for me and called me twice. Unfortunately the orthopedist could only fit us in right when Jake's first band concert was.
Abby was so concerned for Clara from the time she fell off the swing and then when she learned it was broken she went to tears. So, Abby came with me and was Clara's cheerleader at the doctors office. Clara was bouncing off the walls with a broken arm. I asked the doctor when she came in, "really, it's broken, are you sure!" Clara chose a hot pink cast and sat very still on my lap watching Curious George while it was put on. The doctor said at her young age her bones heal so quickly, 2 weeks with a long arm cast and 1-2 weeks with a short cast and she'll be good to go! I was told not to be surprised if either of the casts she gets ends up coming off, meaning Clara wiggles her arm out of it!
Clara was excited about her cast for all of about 3 minutes and then started throwing a huge tantrum for me to take it off, entertaining everyone in the waiting room as I checked out. The fact that it was 8pm didn't help.
Sprinkle fun with a bread-bag.
First dental appointment and sporting her hot pink cast. She did great and no cavities.
Tuesday April 28th
Clara got her long cast taken off today and a short purple one put on for 10 days. She didn't like the loud "vacuum-like" sound of the machine that cut the cast so I covered her ears.
Thursday May 7th
As I pulled into the parking lot at the doctors this morning Clara and I were greeted by a firetruck, ambulance and everyone evacuated. As I asked a person what was going on one of the nurses recognized Clara and called her over to where a group of them, and our doctor, were all standing. Clara chatted with them for a few minutes and then noticed a big motorcycle. She wanted to go sit on it. Before she could finish asking me if she could one of the nurses grabbed her hand and took her over to ask the nice "motor-cycle man" if Clara could sit on his bike. Up she went. She had everyone laughing at the fact that she was more interested in the motor cycle than the firetruck or ambulance. She returned to talk to the nice "motor-cycle man" several times and had everyone there commenting on how cute and friendly she was.
"Instead of asking for a pony, Clara wants a hog!"
After a 45minute wait we were seen. The nice "doctor-man" took Clara's cast off only he made a big mistake of warning her that it would be "scary". Not a smart move. She cried and cried. But he won her heart when the decision to cast for one more week was made and he gave her a choice of 2 colors for her 3rd cast. She chose purple and orange. The x-ray this week showed new bone growing which was great but since she is so prone to falling and is a crazy toddler she was casted, just to be safe.
Lessons Learned:
1. Supervise the "spider" swing.
2. Broken bones don't keep this 2 year old, almost 3, down!
3. Hold my breath when the short cast comes off. Man did I catch a stinky whiff when the long one came off. I about lost my breakfast!
4. The past couple months Clara and I have had lots of doctor appointments. Clara is a nut. She wins over every doctor, nurse, technician, receptionist she meets. She is such a cute talker and charms her way into everyones heart.... more funny stories on that later.
She was terrified to get it taken off. Crazy girl should have been a pro at it since it was the third time. I had a great mommy moment with her though that I'll always treasure. Amidst all my shortcomings as a mom, wife, and RS president I was able to redirect/entertain/calm her down and comfort her like a mom should.
It didn't slow her down much....and now she can take a long bath!












No comments:
Post a Comment