Breinholt Family Reunion
This year Brad and Donna were in charge of planning. Amidst their insanely busy lives they pulled off a seamless fun packed reunion.
We all arrived at the Comfort Inn by late evening, except for Dan of course. Brad and Donna had ordered Panda Express for us and we gathered at the hotel's hospitality room to eat together. We had a nice continental breakfast every morning together and then Brad assigned each family to take care of a meal. Meal time worked out really well despite being in a hotel.
The theme for the reunion was scouting, since this is the 100th year for BSA. Brad asked us all in advance to prepare a 30 minute "merit badge" class. Ken and Ali did the first merit badge class that night on family togetherness. After gabbing for a while everyone headed to bed around 11pm. Dan still hadn't made it and I was feeling worried knowing how tired he was. I opened the hotel room door at 130A.M. to two smiling kids and a happy exhausted husband.
Wednesday
We started the day off with a merit badge class from Mom and Dad. They taught us 3 different types of knots and of course tied it into the gospel.
Cliff Dwellers in the A.M.
Tess and Kaylee (cute girls with similar personalities!)
Getting their Junior Ranger badge.
Sedona- Rock Slides in the P.M.
This area was beautiful. The river going through the canyon was shallow and rocky at this one spot making it perfect to slide and cliff jump. Thankfully everyone had a great time while remaining safe and free from accident. I spent my time neurotically watching my 4 non-swimmers. Jake and Tess were hesitant to do the slides at first. I was grateful to the older cousins who helped to keep them safe. By the end Jake was a sliding maniac, head first and all!
Suzanne looking after Abby.
Brad and his Abby.
Charles, Evan, and Joseph
Ken and Nathan
Ella and Jake were buddies throughout the reunion. Ella is fearless and really helped Jake conquer some new things.
Clara hung out with Mom most of the time.
Abby was very careful walking on the very slippery rocks. Luckily no falls.
Tess sliding into the hole with Elise helping her.
Suzanne, Rachel, and Bekah
Emily and Dean
Ken jumped with fearless Ashley.
Chuck cheering
Steve with Mark and Liz in the background.
Abby warm'n up.
Aimee getting some Lucas "sugar".
Thursday 4th of JULY
Dean was born on the 4th of July 11 years ago. So we all took a breakfast item to him in bed.
Then headed to the Grand Canyon where we spent the rest of 4th. This was my first time visiting the Grand Canyon. It was amazing. I only wish I'd had more time, and less fussy kids, to enjoy it. Brad, being the prepared Dad that he is, brought popsicles in dry ice for a nice refreshing snack along the way. We spent time together and then had time to split up and tour on our own before dinner. (We took our big Breinholt Family Pic here that I'll post when I get it.)
Friday
Dan was kind enough to stay at the hotel with Clara so I could enjoy Despicable Me 2 in 3D with the Jacob, Tess and Abby. After lunch we headed to the lake for some good'ol canoe racing and boating.
Racing and Cruising
Rachel, Abby and I.
Rachel, Abby and I.
Aimee and Kaylee
Ken and Ali with Kaylee and Nathan
Chuck, Andrew and Kim
Liz and Suzanne took my kiddos for a ride
Bekah and Clara
Emma and Abby being careful on the rocks together.
Tess and Jake loved swimming in the lake.
We ended the day with Pizza and our merit badge class on "citizenship". We did a jeopardy game with national/D.C. trivia. Then the kids played or went to bed while the adults discussed future reunion plans .
Saturday
Departure. Our time together went by way to fast. We had a lot of fun together. There is always a big expense with trips like this but it is so worth the memories and relationships built! I only wish we could live closer so my kids could be best friends with their cousins.
As I packed in the hotel room Clara crashed on the floor, totally exhausted poor girl.





















No comments:
Post a Comment