Monday, August 25, 2014

Abby at FIVE

For the last day of Summer break the kids decided to sleep down stairs together. Dan and I brought Abby's birthday breakfast, sherbet, to her in her tent. Since it was Sunday we quickly got dressed in our Sunday best. Abby has been saving the "fancy dress" for her birthday. She wore the dress Tess wore to Grandma's wedding, I wish I had taken a picture. I put a birthday pin on her so everyone would know it was her day (plus I spoke in Sacrament meeting and talked about her).

Since I'm her primary teacher I brought in cupcakes to eat before having our lesson. After church I spent some time playing games with Abby while others had "quiet time/naps". For dinner she wanted meat. We had a loaded bake potato casserole with bacon and chicken. Then on to the cake. I felt a little bad that the cake was so thin...I used the rest of the batter for the cupcakes. Abby enjoyed all the M&M's she decorated it with and 5 candles to blow out. She opened her presents and played for a while before baths and back to school father's blessings. Then off to bed with excitement of the very first day of school in the morning. That was her birthday.




I can't believe Abby's FIVE. I've been rather emotional about it, probably due to the fact that I prepared my talk on "Behold Your Little  Ones" reading lots of articles about how wonderful children are. But Abby really is wonderful. She brings so much light and spunk to our family. Here are a couple things I want to document about her:

1. She can ride a bike now. Dan and I have really enjoyed seeing how determined Abby can be. In just 2 days she had it down. She kept telling me to "let go Mom! I can do it!" She can do anything she sets her mind to.

2. She got her ears pierced. I already blogged about this but I'll reiterate that fact that she is really brave! And wants to be just like Tess.
3. She is reading. I've been working with her on reading since the beginning of the year and she is doing really well.
4. She is going to Kindergarten. Abby has been so excited about this. Despite DCP advising against it, Dan and I decided to send her even though she is barely 5 years old. She loved picking out her backpack and all her school supplies. When we went to the open house on Friday Abby wanted to go to her classroom first. As soon as we walked in she was asked to put her supplies in her cubby and that's when I noticed her struggling to keep the tears back. "Mom, I don't think I can do this" and the tears came. I was so suprised, and already feeling emotional that I couldn't stop the tears either. Then all weekend I saw that scared face and would tear up every time I thought I've my little girl away from me all day. Dan gave her a father's back to school blessing Sunday night. Abby was up early and totally excited! I was going to meet the bus at the school and help Abby into her room but she told me "Not to be mean, but I can do it mom." I really wanted to be there but decided not to mess with the confidence she was feeling. She did great. Once again Dan and I are noticing that some things may seem scary at first but once she tests the water then she's determined to succeed.
Open House picture-- anxious.
2nd day of school. Ready an hour before the bus.

5. She is a clever little girl that still says the funniest things:

We were eating. Dan told the kids about a time his dad was at a phone booth talking to a client, back before cell phone days. He often drank soda. Out of habit he reached up, grabbed a soda and took a lumpy swig. Then realized it wasn't his! Abby responded with a disgusted look,"You're making me lose my habitat." (appetite)

Abby was wearing flip-flops. After frustratingly losing her shoes several times Abby told me they should be called "slip flops not flip flops" then "trip-flops".

Abby said the family prayer one night after we had read about Nephi killing Laban for scripture study. She prayed that her cousin Mark wouldn't have to kill anyone...and that grandma great wouldn't die "of age".

We were cleaning up Abby after she coughed so much she vomitted. Dan told her: Abby, don't grow up and go to college. Stay with us forever. Abby "I have to go to college, I don't want to be a poop sucker!"

We sure love her! (She is 41lbs, 3ft 7inches. 59% weight and 50% height)

No comments:

Post a Comment