Saturday, May 7, 2016

Spring Break Trip

Spring Break would be the last chance we could get away before Barnhurst Baby #5 came. We decided this would be a great chance to go see the Grandma's in South Carolina. Dan was in Washington the week before we left and I had an incredibly busy week. My sweetheart surprised me by taking a red-eye on Thursday night. At 530a.m. he got home but didn't have a house key. Of course that was the one night that week when Ellie didn't wake me early to go out, so he slept in his cold car until we woke up and I saw his text. He helped me get the kids off to school and worked a little before catching up on a little sleep. I went to be helpful to Bonnie and then we both tackled packing when the kids got home from school. We originally planned to leave Saturday morning, March 19th, and head to Hollie and Cris's but since our week was so crazy, and Dan was just put in the new bishopric we decided to stay until after tithing was done on Sunday.

SUNDAY
As soon as Dan got home from church we loaded up the car and drove 6 hours to the Raleigh/Durham area. I hadn't seen their new home or my cute niece and nephew in a very long time. Xan is such a sweetie and Ellie is adorable. Abby was in baby-watching heaven and the kids played great together. I wish we could have visited with them longer but packed up after breakfast on Monday and drove 3 hours to Blythewood.

MONDAY
Grandma Great is always a highlight of any South Carolina trip. The kids adore her and love driving her golf cart. I love eating the RK treats she always make for me. She loves me! (This time I also got to take home a pecan pie she made for me!) Grandma is 97 and still manages to do so much she is amazing. Every trip the kids can't wait to see Uncle Harold. This trip he totally spoiled them by taking them to a gas station and let them "brown-bag" all the candy they wanted! Dan said he spent over $50 on candy for the kids! They were in hog heaven! Clara was pure entertainment with him. She had us all laughing at her candid remarks and spunky personality. We spent the night with Grandma Great and then left for the Zoo mid Tuesday.


 The "brown bag" stash.



TUESDAY
Grandma Donna and Blake met us at the Zoo.  We had a great time seeing the animals, riding the carousel and doing the high ropes course. I love the Columbia Zoo. There are so many animals, not a lot of walking and usually isn't too crowded (definitely not a Maryland/DC experience). We first saw the otters. Clara is at that magical age of complete wonder at everything she saw. It was so fun to watch her explode with excitement over every little thing. Two moments I don't every want to forget: 1. Abby trained an elephant to flap its ears! She hollered "flap" and waved her arms. She was so proud of herself and truly believed she was the reason that elephant was flapping its ears. It did it on her cue! Donna and I were laughing about it. As two zoo keepers passed Donna mentioned to them that if they needed anyone to train the elephants Abby could help! 2. Donna, Blake and I watched as the kids (with Dan) ran around the carousel and chose which animal they were going to ride on. Abby had a hard time deciding. She climbed on an elephant just as the ride started. When she came around to where we could see her she was all frowns and disappointment! Her elephant didn't move! Donna, Blake, and I were hollering and smiling at the kids as they went past us but Abby's frown would not budge! It had us laughing so hard I was in tears. Luckily with Donna's year round zoo pass comes all the you can get of carousel riding so Abby got to chose another animal and go again.
Grandma Great gave the kids some money to spend at the zoo. Tess chose dangly earrings, Abby chose a little stuffed elephant to always remember her amazing skills, Clara got a stretchy pink snake, and Jake decided to save his money.







WEDNESDAY
We haven't been back to Charleston ever since we moved from Aiken. This trip we decided to go to Charleston and visit Ft. Sumter and the Yorktown Aircraft Carrier. We had about one hour to tour the Yorktown before needing to board the fairy to Ft. Sumter. Abby, Tess, and Dan rode in a flight simulator. Clara was an absolute pill running from us constantly. I had the water bottles and stroller right next to each other in the garage to pack but they got left home in our hurry. Jacob was in heaven seeing all the airplanes and learning about the ship recovering the crew from Apollo 8. After Ft. Sumter we spent another hour touring the Yorktown. That ship was in 3 wars. We saw the jet that would have flown in Vietnam to help my Dad! It was the air craft carrier that Dan had a dance on during Youth Conference back in the day. It was very cool to explore!

We rode on the fairy for about 30 minutes to get to Ft. Sumter. I think we were all kind of disappointed at the lack of things to see at Ft. Sumter. Clara was full of energy that needed to be spent so Dan took Jake and Tess to look around while Donna, Abby, Clara and I sat and allowed Clara to run around the grassy area at the flag pole.  Clara gave me the scare of my life-- wish I could forget it. Abby had gone off a little ways and Clara went to join her. Before long clara climbed through the railing and onto a part of the fort that was slanted with a 20 foot drop to the sandy/rocky beach of the ocean. I was up and after her yelling as fast as I cold. She wouldn't stop until I got close enough and she could hear the sheer terror in my voice. I was in tears as I scolded her. After that I carried her to find Dan. Running and then carrying her did me in. The pressure I felt from my huge belly hurt.

Before heading back to St. Matthews to Grandma's house we stopped and ate some YUMMY sea food. But so overpriced! And then since we were so close to Ft.? and the beach we had to stop to let the kids play for a bit. I waddled out to the beach and  Donna and I sat and visited as we watched Dan and the kids play. The sun was setting and it was a gorgeous night.  A perfect ending to the day.



















THURSDAY
We spent the morning with Grandma Riley and Aunt Rhonda. We had the traditional root-beer floats and the kids played with all her toys. By about 2 we left and made a quick (but not so quick) stop at the Museum gift shop downtown Columbia looking for some SC socks for Jake. Unfortunately we didn't find the kind we were looking for. However, everyone ended up with something to take home. My feet and ankles were so swollen and hot that I had to purchased some flip-flops. I didn't' realize just how much water I was retaining! Dan and I decided to go "halfsies" with the kids on what they wanted to buy. Clara was all over the place (wish we had some rope to tie her to us) so we shopped as quickly as possible. Jake got a model of the solar system to hang in his room, Tess bought SC earrings and necklace, Abby go a necklace with her name on it and some colored rocks, and Clara got a shark bath toy. Abby was so cute and grown up when she told me she was ready to buy her things all by her self. Sure enough, she went to the register and confidently bought her things all by herself. Dan and I were so proud and amazed by her.
Then off to Prosperity. We stopped and visited Aunt Lottie first. Aunt Lottie is Dan's great Aunt, Grandma Great's sister, who he spent a lot of time with one on one when Hollie was born. She is the sweetest, spunkiest 90 year old.  She had a ton of candy, pie, and donuts ready for the kids to devour. The kids played while we visited with her and Clara entertained us. The kids could eat anything they wanted, play with anything they wanted, DO anything they wanted. If Dan or I tried to get them to eat in the kitched she'd get after us. She has goats and a little pony we got to see.
It was a little after 6pm and we still needed to say hi to Bud and Patty. We spent and hour and a half visiting outside with them. Dan and Jake enjoyed talking with Bud and Draton, seeing their cars/tools/and guns. I tried to carry on a conversation with Patty while keeping the 3 girls happy. Abby had lost one of her tennis-shoes so she spent the day with one tennis-shoe and one slipper. The slipper wasn't much to protect her foot from the rocks and sticks of their yard. Then as they climbed on the wall of rocks one slipped and hit Tess's foot. Clara stepped in an ant pile but luckily it scared her more than hurt her....By the time we left at 830 I was exhausted and my tail bone was hurting so bad. Stink'n pregnancy keeps me up at night and made this trip even more exhausting then it would have been anyway. We all crashed when we got back to St. Matthews (except Dan who stays up late no mater what).

FRIDAY
After packing up our things we stopped in Blythewood for one more visit to Grandma. And Uncle Blake met us there with his balloons. We visited and were entertained by Uncle Blake before leaving around 130 for Maryland. Dan booked a hotel in Roanoke to break up our trip. It's a good thing too. It took us 3 hours to go what should have taken 1 hour due to crazy Charolette traffic! So frustrating. We ate at DQ and then swam at the hotel pool until 9pm to complete tire out the kids. I think the best part of that night was when we were all seated eating our hamburgers when the song "Everybody Dance Now" without any hesitation my arms went up dancing and all the kids followed. We rocked out to the song while in our seats. We got some big grins and laughs from the family seated close to us! I made Dan turn red...he then joined in the fun.












SATURDAY
We made it home by 3pm. I was suppose to meet with the new Bishop that evening but it got postponed a day. Dan had a bunch to do to be prepared to conduct and be 100%supportive to Bishop Marsh. Tess and I did manage to stay awake long enough to watch the Womens Broadcast together. Dan only slept 4 hours that night. Happy Easter Sunday!

Eating Highlights: I ate at Bojangles for the first time. We all loved our Southern breakfast biscuits. It was so yummy we had to eat there twice. We ate the best burger at ??? on our way home.

Lessons Learned:
1. Any little day trip we make anytime soon we will buy a harness for Clara and attach her to us!
2. It's a good thing we did this trip now, I am only 27 weeks pregnant and so huge that the walking made my legs/ankles huge. I will be released from RS President soon and I think that's a good thing!
3. We could happily live in Prosperity or Charleston SC.
4. Dan and I need a vacation! Just the two of us!




No comments:

Post a Comment