It took longer than it should have but I finally got around to making an appointment for Jake, Dan, and I at the dermatologist. I have some pregnancy related skin issues, Jake has Exema, and Dan needed his yearly look over. Dan had noticed a spot on my forehead at my hairline that didn't look right. Dan was right. Dr. Yeager decided to do a biopsy.
Within 3 days I got a call from the good 'ol doctor telling me he was referring me to another doctor and to call immediately to have it taken care of. My freak out moment came when the receptionist for Dr. Mizibish's office answered with "skin cancer specialist". It was a basal cell carcinoma, not that big of a deal but needed to come off right away. (I really wanted to just focus on the one huge task I had in front of me, getting through labor and delivery, and not this! Dr. Mizibish explained that it needed to be taken care of right away. I guess that clued me into the seriousness of it more. ) The receptionist said they could take me the very next day. It ended up being a couple days later.
Dr. Mizibish used the MOHS technique where he sliced several layers, put it on a slide and looked under a microscope to make sure he got down to cancer free. They were really kind and very professional. I appreciated that Dr. Mizibish talked to me the entire time (during the procedure and then while he stitched me up). Because I am pregnant I couldn't have the really good numbing agent because it has adrenaline in it. He did the best he could keeping me numb but it wasn't fun! Burning, stinging, and sharp pain. Before he stitched me up they numbed me again...that needle about sent me through the roof. (One thing I know about myself from lots of dental work and migraines is normal pain killers just don't work for my immune body.) Tylenol was all I could take for pain relief. It's been 3 days and I'm doing so much better. The first day and night were rough because I couldn't relive the ache in my hips on the one side since I couldn't sleep on the other side. My head throbbed through the night but then it started to get better. I have to keep vasoline on the site. They had to shave a small portion or my hair and the vasoline makes my hair greasy! It's really ugly and noticeable. I really hope it heals quickly and well, with as little scaring as possible.
***Update: The week after having Aubree I noticed the site looked green and called just to find out what it should look like. Of course the doctor wanted to see me. So amidst a very busy week of doctor appointments for Aubree I went up to Frederick to have it looked at. Dr. Mizibish said it wasn't healing as quickly or like it should. He gave me to options-- 1. Cut me open right then and there and restitch using different stitches or 2. Give it more time and possibly come back in for option one. I had been through enough that week and went with option number two.
No comments:
Post a Comment