Sunday, December 4, 2016

Jacob and the Priesthood

It happened! Jake is now a Deacon and has the priesthood. We specifically went down to South Carolina over Thanksgiving to have family around and help ordain Jake. Even though I will always remember what felt like torture on my mama ears to hear Aubree's constant crying,  it was a sweet memory I'll always cherish. So grateful and proud to sit on that front porch of Grandma Greats mobile home watching as Cris, Uncle Lee, Uncle Wayne and Uncle Herald joined Dan to ordain Jacob.

The Wednesday before his first Sunday passing the sacrament the deacon president took him into the chapel and explained what they do. That one on one instruction really helped calm nerves and I sure appreciated it! Jake looked great in his suit (though when he passed the sacrament he wanted to blend in with the other boys and didn't wear his suit coat).  I watched him, being a little nervous myself but mostly proud. I saw Dan tear up on the stand as he looked out at Jacob. And then Jake gave me a huge grin when he came to sit down with us after. Phew!

On our way home from church I asked Jake how it went? He said the Bastian girls kept waving to him as he passed off the tray, he just smiled back. He teared up as he told me that he felt Heavenly Father had answered his prayer. He was so nervous that he said a prayer for help. Though his hands shook a bit with nerves he did a great job and felt the spirit. I think he had a great time in young mens today too. He came home and immediately went to work on preparing the lesson he was asked to teach in two weeks.

Funny side not- Dan has talked to Jacob about his new sacred responsibility quite  a bit. One of the things he told Jake was that he should hand off the tray and then turn, looking the other direction. He explained that taking the sacrament is a personal matter between that person and the Lord and so if he ever notices that someone doesn't take the sacrament he is to keep it to himself. Well, Dan said he watched as Jacob robotically handed off the tray and then turned away each time. I think he's got it!

No comments:

Post a Comment