Thursday, January 16, 2014

A week of doctor visits and sickness.

Dan had a physical this week, complete with blood work. He is healthy.

Tuesday morning I was trying to pull down the Tilex from a high shelf and sprayed myself right in the eye. I immediately started rinsing out my right eye. I read the bottle and did as it directed--20 minutes of continual rinsing. After an hour my eye burned with just as much intensity and was swelling shut. Not realizing the severity of what I'd done I luckily had the thought to call my eye doctor and was going to just ask how long it would burn. I was told to come in immediately. I drove very slowly with one eye open. I dropped the girls off with Aunt Bonnie and then headed to the doctor. The doctor immediately put the most heavenly drops in my eye that took away the burning temporarily.  I love numbing medicine. She continued to rinse out my eye for what seemed like forever and then did a thorough exam. The good news, my eye will heal, the bad news--I chemically burned half of my cornea (and this accident would cost a pretty penny). She prescribed two different drops, one to use every hour and than an antibiotic to use 4x a day.
This experience has taught me several things: chemicals labeled dangerous to the eye are really dangerous to the eye, I will be more diligent about making sure my cleaning chemicals are properly closed after using them, it could have been so much worse, I am so very grateful for two working eyes, and lastly our bodies are amazing things. By the next morning the burning was gone! I could open my eye again. My vision was still blurry in the one eye but the doctor assured me that day that I had begun the healing process and would be good to go within a couple days.
(not at all flattering but documented)


 Jacob had a procedure done today at the dermatologist. He has had a raised bump at the bottom of his neck for a long time now. We decided to get it checked out a couple weeks ago because it had become painful. This bump needed to be removed. The doctor prescribed some numbing cream that I applied an hour before his appointment. Jacob was very nervous. I'm afraid he might just have my kind of stomach, very sensitive to anxiety. Jacob was very tough. He teared up a couple times but fought to keep his composure. I prayed to keep mine. First Dr Yeager tested the area to be sure it was numb and it wasn't, which brought tears. Jake got a shot to completely numb the area and was so brave through that scary part. Then the nurse came in and set up all the tools. I saw Jacob's face begin to turn pale as he looked at the scary instruments and again he forced the tears away, his lip quivering. It took the doctor 20 minutes to drain out the benign tumor. Jake didn't feel pain but a lot of pressure. The doctor believes it is Pilomatricoma, a benign tumor. The lab results will be in when we go back in 2 weeks to have the stitches removed.
I was nervous for Jake as we sat in the waiting room. My tough exterior little boy held my hand tightly. Made my heart hurt for him. Then when I saw him fighting tears I about lost it myself. I'm so grateful for the power of prayer. I wish I could take all the pain and anxiety away for my children. 
He was very brave and will be just fine.


*Update for original post*
We had the Blue and Gold banquet tonight. I recommended we take two cars just in case... Well at 830 I left to take Benjamin home with all the kids in the minivan. Dan called me minutes into my drive to tell me he'd thrown away his keys (with his wedding ring attatched). He and Val Rohn started going through the bags of leftover lazagna disgustingness and then he realized he'd left them in a bag some place else. After getting the kids to bed late I woke up a couple times to help a coughing Abby and then  to a sick Jacob. He vomit all night with a stomach bug. 

It's Friday morning. Jake's doing better. Dan and I are tired. And Buddy is at the vet getting "fixed". 

What's next???

No comments:

Post a Comment