Monday, September 8, 2014

It's all Beachy

Last week was the long awaited beach trip. We joined the Warner family, Warner grandparents, Grandma and Grandpa Larry, and Hollie and Cris for a week in Corrola, at the OBX. James rented a 9 bedroom 7 bathroom home complete with a hot tub and pool. The kids had lots of cousin time and wore us flat out.

HIGHLIGHTS


POOL pool and more pool time. The home had a good sized pool that was a perfect temperature. Unfortunately my camera lens kept fogging up when I was out at the pool so these are the only two pictures I got. We swam first thing in the mornings. We swam before and after the ocean. It was so convenient and a fun way to expend energy for the little ones and relax a bit for the older ones.  



Sand dune bust
Tuesday we went to the sand dunes. I had grand visions of sledding down the sand dunes just like I did when I was a kid at White Sands. It was my Christmas fun in hot El Paso and I loved it. Well, it didn't work out so well. It was hot, burning your feet hot. And the sleds wouldn't move.  Oh well, the view was worth it to Dan and I. Hollie and Cris joined us eating our packed lunch and taking turns cooling down with the cooler of ice.


Boating
Dan and James rented a boat one afternoon. I stayed with Donna to take care of the 4 youngest since I would have most likely gotten sick out in the waves. I asked the kids what the best part was? "Jumping in the ocean of course!" Abby was the first brave kid to jump in and that encourage all the older kids to do it as well. Bonnie texted me these two pictures.



Wright Brother's National Park
One afternoon we drove down to see the Wright Brother's National Park. Bonnie and I helped all the kids complete their Junior Ranger requirements while Dan took care of Clara.

Dan told me that as he was trying to keep up with a wild and running Clara he heaved a sigh of tired frustration. At that moment Clara stopped, made a kissy face, held it until Dan bent down and kissed it and then said "wuv you daddy" turned and ran off again.







Birthday Celebration
I made cup cakes to celebrate with Hollie and Cris before they headed home. Then Grandma Barnhurst helped me with this cake so we could celebrate with them as well. Everyone signed a card and the kids played with the black balloons I brought. Happy 40th Dan!!



Eating and Sleeping
Bonnie and I planned out the food before our trip. We took turns cooking dinner and then took care of breakfast and lunch on our own. We ate out once with Hollie and Cris and Grandma and Grandpa Larry. The restaurant was right on the sound and we had a gorgeous view. Two nights we spent playing the BANG game that James brought. Dan and I really enjoyed getting to know "Babs" and "Joe" (James parents) better.
The kids have been asking for cousin sleepovers all Summer long. This was there chance to have night after night sleep over. Tess and C.C. slept in a big king sized bed, Lydia and Abby slept in a king sized bed, and then the boys slept on twin beds. C.C. and Tess are similar in their sincere like of sleep and actually went to sleep when asked. The boys stayed up reading, which is just awesome. And Lydia and Abby made many trips to and from us staying up very late.


silly red-heads

The good-nite, calm your self to sleep nightly bounce by Dan.
I found Clara in with Granpa Larry. He changed his show to cartoon and watched with her. 


OCEAN
Saving the best for last, the ocean! Clara went from crying because of fear of the ocean to crying to be constantly in the ocean. Jake and Tess stayed in the water 99% of the time wake boarding and swimming. We collected lots of sea shells and clam shells. We ate donuts at 7am on the beach with the cousins. I learned that despite my valiant effort to protect Tess from the sun it wasn't enough. We visited a Waves store and bought her a hat. We tried to keep sun glasses, hat and a shirt on her.





Baby Elle stayed comfy and sand free in her little pool.




























Our bishop let us borrow this tent so we had a way to get out of the sun. Hopefully soon we will buy and canopy for us to take camping and to the beach.


I was reminded just how much I love Dan and my kiddos. Oh, so much!

No comments:

Post a Comment