Jacob loves to read and has an amazing memory. Proof: he was one of 3 third graders from his school asked to compete in a county wide history bee competition because of his score on a history test.
He came running off the bus, which is always a very good sign, to tell me his exciting new. The grin of satisfaction on his face is one I hope to see a lot of from him!
With this competition came a commitment to practice for 15 minutes with a group every Tuesday morning for a month and to work at home. Jacob had a packet of history facts, 3 pages front and back, that Dan and I helped him with. One night as I was quizzing him he kept smiling. He told me "Mom, I just can't help smiling when I get it right!" He had those facts down pat!
Jacob, Clara, and I headed to Frederick Community College with plenty of time to spare. We registered Jake and then had an hour to kill before it started. All the schools arrived and put up their school posters, I counted 12 different elementary schools. I noticed that Kemptown didn't have a have a poster, nor a representative/teacher there. Dan was in Washington state all week leading up to the competition and took a red eye flight to make it just in time for the first round of the competition Friday morning. Jacob did a great job. He didn't progress passed the first round. Dan and I sat close enough to hear the questions. Jake got some really hard questions like "What was the name of the Native American group recognized by the president in 2012?" What? Most of the questions Jake got were significantly harder than the other and wasn't on the study material. Jake was really disappointed. Dan and I reassured him and then went out for Jimmy Cones ice cream.
No comments:
Post a Comment