Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Spring Break Part 1

We started our 8 hour drive to Raleigh late Saturday morning. The week had been so jam-packed making me tired, and Dan's red-eye flight had him exhausted so I drove most of the way. We took a long scenic route rather than being stuck on I-95 for hours in holiday traffic. It was a beautiful day and a gorgeous drive. After church on Sunday, Hollie and Xan caravanned the rest of the way to Grandma Greats with us.

It is so peaceful and enjoyable at Grandma Greats.  Grandma is 94 and is "hanging in there". Her knees and feet make it really hard for her to get around, but she still managed to make me Rice Krispy Treats! She has such a sweet way of making us feel so at home.

After getting the kids in bed Dan and I sat on the floor in Grandma's room and talked to her until 1130. Grandma told us about life during her early 20's and courtship with Grandpa. Dan and I didn't want the night to end with her. She told us something that touched my soul, and tear-ducts: It was after Grandpa had gotten sick...One day Grandpa was waiting for Grandma to return from an errand, he didn't like her to be gone long. (that's were Dan gets it;) He was seated out side on the side porch wating for her. She came home and greated him. Grandpa then said "Momma-girl, promise me that you won't break any of the covenants you've made when I'm gone. Because I want you with me forever." Grandma said she made a little joke and they went inside. Dan and I had never heard that story before and it did our hearts good. That night will be one I will remember and cherish forever.

We spent as much time as possible letting the kids just enjoy Grandma Great and her place. Dan really wanted this trip to be a good one for the kids so he managed to pack Jake's dirt bike. Jake was in heaven riding up an down the dirt road to Uncle Harold's pond, around his house and back. Tess learned to drive the golf cart all by herself this trip.  Between the dirt bike, golf cart, Uncle Harold dog Smudge, and the perfect weather, we were all in heaven.









We had a cookout at the Odum home with Grandma Riley and Aunt Rhonda and Uncle Lee Monday night. Clara doesn't take to new people very well but she took right to Aunt Rhonda. Rhonda had thoughtfully brought Easter eggs and activity sheets for the kids.

True southern way to cool off:)

Collecting the eggs with Grandpa.
Clara's new best friend.

That night I did something I'd never ever done before. I shot an AR15 and handgun. Scared me to death. I had no idea that the rifle would be so loud, and powerful. My shoulder wasn't prepared for the kick, even though they did warn me.  It made me think of soldiers who have gone to war with those, my Dad being one of them. The noise of it all would be so hard to deal with especially when you need to be focused and at your best. It is nothing like what the movies portray. I now know that I will not be touching another gun until I've had the proper training. Scary weapon. 



Grandma reading to the kids from their family history book before bed. 


No comments:

Post a Comment